Hi folks, Sam here, long time reader, first time editor.
- Commentary on issues facing a hot rolled steel tubing fabricator in Texas from the perspective of its Boston private equity owner.
Making & Manufacturing.
- A teardown of the 100kWh Tesla Battery Pack.
- Boeing has designed a new spacesuit.
- If you're in lower Manhattan and need a book bound, check out The Last Bookbinder on the Lower East Side. He's got great reviews on Yelp too.
- After watching the video of an manual outdoor ring forging operation in China from from the 12/19/2016 edition of The Prepared, I found this video of an automated version from Sweden.
- And then I found a brand new video from the same Chinese forging firm using a rolling machine!
- I've been thinking a lot about inverted pendulums this week and stumbled on sone interesting ones.
- The Kapitza Pendulum is a stable inverted pendulum due to a vertically oscillating pivot point.
- The Furuta Pendulum has a pivot point mounted on a rotating wheel.
- The ACIN group out of Vienna has built a dynamically balanced double and triple(!) pendulum on a cart.
- And here's an inverted pendulum with two degrees of freedom balanced by two reaction wheels.
- I'm halfway through The Last Days of Night, a historical novel about the Edison / Westinghouse battle, Nikola Tesla, and the origins of the modern law firm. Highly recommended.
Inspection & Testing.
- A great teardown and analysis of the 45 year old 8008 microprocessor.
- A Nihilist's Guide to Meaning - An application of graph theory to meaning.