- A pretty great interview with Matt Haughey, the founder of MetaFilter, about the dangers of depending on search rankings and the pleasures of working for someone else.
- An analysis of the words that people use in their YC applications.
- This "investigation" is a bit lightweight, but it's still the most info on Velo3D (a startup working on something in metal AM) that I've seen.
- IBM put a 5-qubit quantum computer online, and they're letting people play with it.
- 538 on how NYC's elevators define the city.
- Things you learn from flying a 747.
- Google Maps' design has changed over the past few years. This analysis ignores some of the differences in usage between paper maps and digital ones, but it's interesting nonetheless.
- A good teardown and explanation of a ATM PIN scanner.
- A retrospective of MakerBot.
- A (much more upbeat) retrospective of A123Systems.